[ClusterLabs] issue during Pacemaker failover testing

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:17:51 EDT 2023

On 30.08.2023 19:23, David Dolan wrote:

>> Use fencing. Quorum is not a replacement for fencing. With (reliable)
>> fencing you can simply run pacemaker with no-quorum-policy=ignore.
>>
>> The practical problem is that usually the last resort that will work
>> in all cases is SBD + suicide and SBD cannot work without quorum.
>>
>> Ah I forgot to mention I do have fencing setup, which connects to Vmware
> Virtualcenter.
> Do you think it's safe to set that no-quorum-policy=ignore?

fencing is always safe. fencing guarantees that when nodes take over
resources of a missing node, the missing node is actually not running
any of these resources. Yes, if fencing fails resource won't be taken
over but usually it is better than possible corruption. Quorum is
entirely orthogonal to that. If your two nodes lost connection to the
third node, they will happily take over resources whether the third node
already stopped them or not.

If you actually mean "is it guaranteed that the survived node will
always be able to take over resources from other nodes" - no, it depends
on network connectivity, if connection to VC is lost (or if anything bad
happens during communication with VC, like somebody changed password you
use) fencing will fail and resources won't be taken over.