[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Coming in Pacemaker 2.0.4: shutdown locks

Strahil Nikolov hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 13:42:11 EST 2020

On February 27, 2020 7:00:36 PM GMT+02:00, Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 2020-02-27 at 17:28 +0100, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 09:48:23 -0600
>> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Though it only applies for a clean node shutdown, so that has to be
>> > in
>> > the name somewhere. The resource isn't locked during normal cluster
>> > operation (it can move for resource or node failures, load
>> > rebalancing,
>> > etc.).
>>
>> Well, I was trying to make the new feature a bit wider than just the
>> narrow shutdown feature.
>>
>> Speaking about shutdown, what is the status of clean shutdown of the
>> cluster
>> handled by Pacemaker? Currently, I advice to stop resources
>> gracefully (eg.
>> using pcs resource disable [...]) before shutting down each nodes
>> either by hand
>> or using some higher level tool (eg. pcs cluster stop --all).
>
>I'm not sure why that would be necessary. It should be perfectly fine
>to stop pacemaker in any order without disabling resources.
>
>Start-up is actually more of an issue ... if you start corosync and
>pacemaker on nodes one by one, and you're not quick enough, then once
>quorum is reached, the cluster will fence all the nodes that haven't
>yet come up. So on start-up, it makes sense to start corosync on all
>nodes, which will establish membership and quorum, then start pacemaker
>on all nodes. Obviously that can't be done within pacemaker so that has
>to be done manually or by a higher-level tool.
>
>> Shouldn't this feature be discussed in this context as well?
>>
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Maintenance mode is useful if you're updating the cluster stack
>> > itself
>> > -- put in maintenance mode, stop the cluster services (leaving the
>> > managed services still running), update the cluster services, start
>> > the
>> > cluster services again, take out of maintenance mode.
>> >
>> > This is useful if you're rebooting the node for a kernel update
>> > (for
>> > example). Apply the update, reboot the node. The cluster takes care
>> > of
>> > everything else for you (stop the services before shutting down and
>> > do
>> > not recover them until the node comes back).
>>
>> I'm a bit lost. If resource doesn't move during maintenance mode,
>> could you detail a scenario where we should ban it explicitly from
>> other node to
>> secure its current location when getting out of maintenance? Isn't it
>
>Sorry, I was unclear -- I was contrasting maintenance mode with
>shutdown locks.
>
>You wouldn't need a ban with maintenance mode. However maintenance mode
>leaves any active resources running. That means the node shouldn't be
>rebooted in maintenance mode, because those resources will not be
>cleanly stopped.

> [...]

Hi Ken,

Can you tell me the logic of that feature?
So far it looks like:
1. Mark resources/groups that will be affected by the feature
2. Resources/groups  are stopped  (target-role=stopped)
3. Node exits the cluster cleanly when no resources are  running any more
4. The node rejoins the cluster  after  the reboot
5. A  positive (on the rebooted node) & negative (ban on the rest of the nodes) constraints  are  created for the marked  in step 1 resources
6.  target-role is  set back to started and the resources are back and running
7. When each resource group (or standalone resource)  is  back online -  the mark in step 1  is removed  and any location constraints  (cli-ban &  cli-prefer)  are  removed  for the resource/group.

Yet, if that feature will attract more end users (or even enterprises) - I think that it will be positive for the stack.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov